MEDIA ICON AND FATHER OF JMC RETIRES

                  

     

Professor Enoh Tanjong, born in 1955 in Fotabe, a village in Manyu division, South West region of Cameroon grew up in his native village where he attended primary education. In 1967, he moved over to pursue secondary education at Saint Joseph’s College Sasse under the supervision of his elder brother. He was a mass communications expert with BSc (Hons) Mass Communications, University of Lagos (1979), M.A Journalism University of Winconsin-Madison (1983) and PhD Mass Communications, Winconsin-Madison(1986).

Following his employment in the Ministry of Information and Culture, Tanjong designed the undergraduate Journalism and Mass Communication program in the University of Buea in 1993. He is often regarded as “the pope”. This name came about because he is the architect behind the creation of JMC as well as the pioneer head of department if the department. He was the pioneer HOD from 1993-2005 when he was succeeded by Dr Julius Che Tita and Dr Kingsly Ngange who is the current HOD of the department.


The retirement ceremony held in Buea in honor of the academic guru Professor Enoh Tanjong,  brought together his students, ex-students and colleagues from far and wide. In his speech,  he burst into tears overwhelmed by the joy he felt within. 
"I am overwhelmed by a show of love. This is the height of my life...(sobs)...  The kids you see celebrating me today are more intelligent than me. My friend George Ngwa and I put up a system to get the best students and that is why if one didn't have from eight, nine, ten points and above, we wouldn't accept the person in the department of Journalism and Mass Communication. It was not for sale. George and I in our own fashion put benchmarks that the students of Journalism And Mass Communication must be extremely bright and this is the result manifesting today" (Source: Ikome) 

Retirement ceremony in honour of Prof Enoh Tanjong




 Enoh Tanjong has trained thousands of media professionals both at home and abroad. Most of Cameroon’s fine brains were trained by the iconic Professor which they later became his colleagues. Speaking on the character of Enoh Tanjong is Charlie Ndi Chia who according to Mimi Mefo Info "mourns" such a master.
"Enoh Tanjong has touched so many hearts. He taught people how to believe in themselves, how to share with one another. Euphemistically speaking, we are mourning Enoh Tanjong in his presence because he is retired, not because he has died and making him to understand that this is how the hearts he has touched see him and will continue to see him and that those he formed in fire like gold and who decided to bite him will be mourned on dry cheeks not on wet sweet tears like we are mourning him today. That is how I know Enoh Tanjong. He is  completely de-tribalised man" (Source: Ikome) 

Speaking on the magnanimity of Professor Enoh Tanjong was Professor Henry Muluh who says the academic guru is not only a mentor but like a father to him. 
"I actually got into JMC and the University of Buea thanks to Enoh Tanjong. He has been my mentor and everything to me. When I got back from further studies in the UK,  I never knew I was going to be a lecturer in the university. My intention was to work probably in TV production but I was shocked to find out that Enoh saw potentials in me when I filed my application
He then decide to take me as a part-time lecturer and take me later as a a time lecturer and he believed in me. He empowered his colleague because if I know some sort of administration today, it's thanks to Enoh Tanning. Personally, he has empowered me a lot and I'll forever remain grateful to him. I know he's retiring but he still has a lot to do for us. It has been a wonderful working relationship. He's not only a mentor, but he's like a father to me". (Source: Ikome) 

Prof Enoh Tanjong

With a wide knowledge on communication and development in the third world, Prof Tanjong has the years worked on consultancies with national and international organizations some of which are Heifer International Cameroon, Plan International, WWF, Rumpi Project to name a few. In 2007, he received two awards for outstanding communication training professional in the country, one by the Cameroon Union Journalists (CUJ) and the other by the Cameroon’s Association of English Speaking Journalists (CAMASEJ).
“THE SUN” newspaper’s publication o 25/11/2020 made mention that the professor has been ill. On April 9, he suffered an ischemic stroke which put him on bed rest. He was taken to Nigeria for medical check-up where he was treated and health was gradually improving.
Enoh Tanjong officially retired on October 10, 2020 at age 65. Throughout his career, he was not only a lecturer and HOD at JMC but also an author with one of his publications being ‘Media Balance In Sub-Saharan Africa’. He was also a researcher, a journalism trainer in the media sector who remains the father of JMC and an icon who has trained most of Cameroon’s fine brains in the media field.

               MBEHNI Drusilla NANGE

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bamenda Based Journalists Drilled On Media For Peace and Justice

PCC TRAINS, EQUIPS MORE NONVIOLENT, PEACE ACTORS

Rev. Aloysius Fondong Abangalo, Bishop of Mamfe Diocese